Thursday, June 25, 2009

Germany vs Ireland vs America

This entry is mainly because I'm a bit bored and have been thinking about these things while I'm here. So instead of playing with Mathematica some more, I'm going to tell you the pros and cons of these various countries

What I like about Germany:
-Renewable energy everywhere! It's awesome, there are so many wind turbines and solar panels on most roofs. I very much approve
-Weather, its warmer than Ireland but not hot like Texas. Also, they have actual storms! There was a thunderstorm my first night and I was excited about it :)
-Trains. The Germans have a great transportation system, which is awesome and convenient
-Sooo cheap!! It's amazing, especially after Ireland, and especially because I'm running out of money. But seriously - döner and a beer for under 5 euro, and cheap fruit and veggies = happy Brady
-Flowers everywhere. Our neighborhood smells really nice, and its just happy to walk along and see roses everywhere

What I miss about Ireland:
-People. The Irish are really friendly in general, and the friends that I made in particular I miss. Also, not being able to speak German, and hence talk to people, bothers me more than I thought it would
-Tea! definitely miss this more than I thought I would. I've become addicted, and used to good tea rather than mediocre I'll-drink-it-because-its-tea tea
-Walking everywhere (we live too far away in Würzburg to walk places)
-The green-ness of everything
-Faffing, aka not doing much. I guess more particularly, not needing to things immediately, and having people to faff with

What I miss about Texas
-Strangely enough, the heat. I can still wear pants and a jacket if I want to, which is really weird
-Food - I keep getting cravings for things like Taco Hut, Amy's, bubble tea, sushi, greasy bacon (weird, I know. That one really surprised me) and good hamburgers
-Having my own kitchen with everything I need to cook things. can't wait for that again!
-The people (obviously) miss you guys!
-Low-key Austinites, especially when it comes to clothing (this is mostly directed towards Ireland, though they did succeed in making me at least think about what I'm wearing before leaving the house)
-Barton Springs/Town Lake. I won't have been swimming/in a swim suit (except for working out in an indoor pool, which doesn't really count) in nearly 10 months by the time I get back to Austin. This is sad and I need some warmer weather/a beach or pool!

Woo, so there's my nostalgia/comparison bit. Back to work I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment